Frequently Asked Questions

  • What types of planning permissions are available?
    • There are 3 types of permission, namely, Outline Permission, Permission following Grant of Outline Permission and Planning Permission.

      Outline Permission
      This is suitable when a person wants to find out if permission will be granted for a particular development but is not in a position to submit the exact plans. Permission following grant of Outline Permission (Permission Consequent):
      This type of application follows the grant of an Outline Permission and must be submitted within 3 years of the grant of Outline Permission. It provides for the submission of detailed plans and drawings of the proposed development. Planning Permission:
      This type of planning application provides for the submission of detailed plans and full particulars of the proposed development.
  • Is an attic conversion exempt from planning?
    • Normally, no. However, if work involves dormer windows, permission is required. If velux windows are proposed to the rear, it is generally exempt. If velux windows are proposed to the side/front elevation, permission is required.
  • Can I include a balcony or roof garden with my extension design?
    • No. It is excluded from Planning Design Guidelines.
  • Can I build a porch without planning?
    • Yes. However, the construction must be 2m away from the road / street. The design cannot be larger than 2m2 and requires a maximum height of 4m with a pitched roof or 3m with flat roof system.
  • Can I build walls around my house boundary without planning permission?
    • Yes. Subject to: not more than 2m high to the rear. Not more than 1.2 m to the front or forward of the front of the house.
  • Can I build a side extension without planning permission?
    • No. Not exempted development. You will need to acquire planning permission.
  • What is a preplanning meeting?
    • A pre planning consultation can be requested with the planner for your area prior to making an official application. It will detail requirements for your area prior to planning which can save time in the actual planning process ie if your area is at risk of flooding a flood risk may be required at planning stage – and you can have this prepared ahead of time.
  • What do I require to submit a planning application?
    • A Planning Application Checklist and information regarding the making of a valid planning application are available on Galway County Council’s website: Corbwell design will review the steps with you and let you know your specific requirements.
  • Do you supervise my building works?
    • No. Our inhouse Architects / Engineers monitor the work to see that it is generally in accordance with the tender documentation, but it is the builder who has the contract with the client and it is his legal obligation to carry out the work in accordance with those Drawings & Applicable regulations ahead of our site review. It is not the architect’s responsibility to be on site at all times, although we will satisfy ourselves that the level of workmanship is acceptable.
  • What is the difference between an Architect and a Civil Engineer?
    • An architect’s work focuses on the design of the space and planning the aesthetics of the building. A civil engineer often gets involved in the first and vital part of projects and is responsible for site preparation activities like sewage plan, drainage plans, water systems and will be required during the construction process for the finer structural details. Luckily we have both architects and engineers in-house, so our fee includes both services to save our clients costs and time.
project questionnaire

Project Questionnaire

Download and fill out our project questionnaire and tell us about your project. This will help us to provide you with a more accurate quote.

Got a Project in mind? Let's talk...